Sending your documents

Sending your documents

Apr,22 2015

If you apply for a university through SICAS, you don't need to send your application documents (e.g. copies of your passport, transcript, and graduation certificate) by courier with an expensive posting fee. You only have to upload a scanned or photographed copy of the necessary documents after you've filled out the application form. As long as you’ve uploaded documents for one application, the documents will be saved in the SICAS system; the SICAS system will retrieve the relevant documents automatically when you apply for another university. 

1) It's best to submit scan copies of the required documents. If you don't have access to a scanner, you can take a photo by camera or mobile. Please make sure that the scanned or photographed documents are clear and legible, and then upload them to us.
2) If your graduation certificate and transcripts are neither in English nor in Chinese, they must be translated into English or Chinese and then notarized.  
3) The size of your photo should be about the same size as a passport photo. 48mmX33mm.

General idea on “Basic & Extra Application Documents” to study in China

Usually, copies of your passport, transcript, and graduation certificate are required by most of the universities and courses.

Extra Documents Possibly Required by Some Universities

The following documents might be required by some universities,you will have to submit the required ones to make your application more smooth, however, if the university that you applied for don’t require you to offer them, then you can just put it aside.

1. Results of HSK: HSK results prove a student's Chinese proficiency .Sometimes Results of HSK maybe needed for the applying of some courses, especially when you apply for a Degree course taught in Chinese. However, most of the time, you do not need to have or submit Results of HSK for programs taught in English.

2. Results of IELTS or TOEFL: If you apply for English- taught courses, IELTS or TOEFL test scores is often required. If your mother tongue is English, you do not need to provide a Results of IETS or TOEFL; if you were well educated in a school with English medium, you do not need to provide Results of IELTS or TOEFL, but you must get a proof from your school to verify your English proficiency.

3. Results of Medical Examination:  Your Results of Medical Examination is not required in the process of getting an admission from a Chinese university. However, it will be required when you apply for an X visa in Chinese embassy in your country, or applying for a residence permit from local authorities when you are in China.
SICAS Reminder: Only if you are applying for an X visa (period of study longer than 6 months), you need to provide Physical Examination Record

4. Recommendation Letter: One or two letters of recommendation may be needed as a character reference especially for the post-graduate applicants. You can ask your current or former teacher (including a Chinese teacher), or employer (if you are working) to be your referee and make sure the referee sign on the letter of recommendation. Usually, a recommendation letter should include: an assessment of the applicant's study and research abilities, performance, individual character, leadership qualities, team spirit, potential for development and so on.

5. Financial Guarantee Letter: Sometimes, universities will request you to provide your Financial Guarantee Letter. If you are self-financed, the person paying the tuition fees must complete and sign the form that shows in the very application procedure to the university, if you have got a scholarship from an organization, please get the according proof from the relevant organization and upload the document.

6. Personal statement/Resume/CV: In some cases, your personal statement is required by some Chinese universities. It should be approx. 500-1000 words in length and describe your personal qualities, educational background, interests, why you want to study in China, your future academic or career plans, and so on. If you have already got a job, please make sure include your work experience; if you want to apply for post-graduate programs, please be sure to include your field of research and a study plan.

7. A notarization from guarantor for applicants under 18 years old: If you are under 18years old, should submit one. The steps for obtaining a notarization are as follows. (1): your parents should write a letter of proxy authorizing an adult in China to act as a guarantor. After the letter has been notarized, you take the certificate of notarization to the Chinese embassy to be authenticated. (2): the guarantor takes the authentication certificate mentioned above and a letter confirming that they are entrusted as a guarantor to the local notary office in China for notarization. A statement of guarantor for minors will be sent to you and the guarantor. Then you should upload a copy of the statement with your application documents.
SICAS Reminder: Only original copies of your application documents are acknowledged when registering at the school.

8. A notarization of guarantor Guardian's Letter of Guarantee: If you are 18 or above, you should get one guarantee letter which must be completed and signed by your parents, and upload the letter along with the other application documents.
SICAS Reminder: Some universities may require that the guarantor is a Chinese, while some don’t.